How loud do I need to scream to be successful?

Volume. Mass. Frequency.

No this isn't a physics or math lesson.
  1. I'm not qualified to teach either of those subjects.
  2. If you came looking for lessons in those subjects you'd be better off clicking here.
Those three words lay the blueprint for success by content consumption takeover.

The gobbledygook gambit of motivational speakers, cryptocurrency investors, business growth consultants, ebook entrepreneurs and lifestyle influencers tell us that happiness and success is the byproduct of creating content at all costs.

No amount of noise is off limits. More clicks will lead to better cliques. Your truth is the only thing that matters, not THE truth.

These people seem to think that success is something you can achieve with the grace of a running back trucking over defensive backs in the open field. See Marshawn Lynch for reference.

You know which speaker/motivator/salespersons I'm talking about. 

Look, I'll be honest. There are times when I'm working and I need that crap to wake the eff up. It's similar to the times when I need a jarring dose of System of a Down or A$AP Ferg to get me through a tough lift.

Content crazies aren't concerned with quality. Pushing, boosting, shouting, their only concern is conversion; beating us into submission like a new era Spanish Inquisition. 

In a bizarre case of social media Stockholm syndrome, people grow to love it. They share it with others. The content becomes that crack that feeds the addiction and we're all the worse for it.

In the time you and I spend hyped over coked-up motivational videos, passively listening to profit professing podcasts or liking every self-promotional post by money-pushing puppets, you and I could've very easily gotten to down to our actual work. 

Whether for fame or fortune or infamy, marketers and self-proclaimed entrepreneurs are publishing content to the masses like someone throwing scraps to rats in the bottom of a well.

There's no denying that the mass media, multi-platform machine loves to feast on content: the crunchier, more brittle and half-baked the better.

One can only take so much "hustle" vibrato. I can consume motivational content until three in the morning like the entrepreneurs want me to. It won't bring me any closer to success.

I graduated into this chaotic mess of content. And after four years (my copywriting career still virtually in utero) I'm making my living trying to improve it.

Other members of my generation can see through the bullshit too.

Liking, posting, streaming and screaming, we're the ones being killed by it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Devil is a Salesman

Through Garden of the Gods

Arrest them!